What is Inderal La?
PROPRANOLOL is a beta-blocker. Beta-blockers reduce the workload on the heart and help it to beat more regularly. This medicine is used to treat high blood pressure, to control irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias) and to relieve chest pain caused by angina. It may also be helpful after a heart attack. This medicine is also used to prevent migraine headaches, relieve uncontrollable shaking (tremors), and help certain problems related to the thyroid gland and adrenal gland.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take Inderal La?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- circulation problems or blood vessel disease
- history of heart attack or heart disease, vasospastic angina
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma or emphysema
- slow heart rate
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to propranolol, other beta-blockers, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use Inderal La?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Overdosage: If you think you have taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
NOTE: This medicine is only for you. Do not share this medicine with others.
What if I miss a dose of Inderal La?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with Inderal La?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following:
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
This medicine may also interact with the following:
- aluminum hydroxide gel
- barbiturates like phenobarbital
- medicines for cholesterol like cholestyramine or colestipol
- medicines to control heart rhythm
- medicines for high blood pressure
- medicines for HIV
- medicines for mental depression
- medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- thyroid medicines
This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care providers a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.
What should I watch for while using Inderal La?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Check your blood pressure and pulse rate regularly. Ask your health care professional what your blood pressure and pulse rate should be, and when you should contact them.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can make you more drowsy and dizzy. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can affect blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.
Do not treat yourself for coughs, colds, or pain while you are taking this medicine without asking your doctor or health care professional for advice. Some ingredients may increase your blood pressure.
What side effects may I notice from receiving Inderal La?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in blood sugar
- cold hands or feet
- difficulty sleeping, nightmares
- dry peeling skin
- muscle cramps or weakness
- slow heart rate
- swelling of the legs and ankles
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- dry sore eyes
- hair loss
- weak or tired
This list may not describe all possible side effects.
Where should I keep Inderal La?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.